If We Fix It, They Will Come recommends ten specific actions the City of Philadelphia should take to modernize its development review process and reform its zoning code in order to encourage growth and private investment. The report was endorsed by over a dozen respected city organization who formed the “When We Fix It Coalition.” This Coalition has met monthly with city government leaders since 2005.
Eight out of ten recommendations have been enacted.
- Zoning Code Commission created by voter referendum in May 2007 to rewrite outdated city’s zoning code. For more information see zoningmatters.org
- Create comprehensive electronic zoning map available online to replace over 100 hard copy maps and a backroom zoning determination process.
- Post Concierge at development review gateway to inform and advise permit applicants.
- Amend Zoning Code to eliminate the need for thousands of variances.
- Establish Large Scale Developer Services Team to bring all departments into a single room to evaluate large projects.
- Amend Inspection Scheduling System to allow requests to be made 24/7.
- Introduce Permit Guides to describe development review process.
- Modernize city’s storm water regulations and compliance review.