May 8 Principal, Karen Black, is a sought after speaker and is regularly featured in the press. Black consistently receives high marks from audiences for engaging presentations full of important information and “how to’s” that audience members can use to improve their own communities or organizations. As a result, May 8 provides lasting impact long after they leave the stage. Recent topics include foreclosure prevention and recovery techniques that work, community revitalization best practices, zoning reform and updating development rules and how to improve a small business climate. See some recent speaking engagements and press mentions below. Please contact us to request a speaker at firstname.lastname@example.org. Members of the press can reach Karen Black at 610-891-8260.
Speeches and Presentations
- "Taking Care of Business - A Progress Report", Social Venture Institute (October 19, 2012).
- "Planning for Proactive Control of your Neighborhood's Future", Preservation Alliance Annual Conference (October 12, 2012).
- Vacant Land Reform, West Philadelphia Block Captains Forum (August 4, 2012).
- Building a Strong Small Business Sector in the Global Economy, Federal Reserve Bank Reinventing Conference (May 10, 2012).
- Foreclosure Prevention and its Role in Neighborhood Stabilization, Housing and Community Development Network of New Jersey Membership Meeting (December 8, 2011).
- Taking Care of Business: Improving Philadelphia’s Small Business Climate, Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia Social Venture Institute (November 18, 2011).
- Overstudied and Underserved — Uses of the Law to Promote Healthy Sustainable Urban Communities, Philadelphia’s Fourth Annual Symposium on Equality (October 6, 2011).
- No Place Like Home: Philadelphia’s Approach to Foreclosure Prevention, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia Community Development Event (September 18, 2011).
Video available here. Click on Videos Introductory Remarks; Findings and Recommendations and go to 14.06 to hear Karen Black speak.
- Strategies for Promoting a New Zoning Code, Next Great City Luncheon (July 7, 2011).
- Maintaining the Viability of Small-Scale Rental Housing, Philadelphia Federal Reserve Bank Roundtable Forum (March 11, 2011).
- Emerging Research and Evaluation Practices for Foreclosure Mediation Programs, U.S. Department of Justice National Workshop (March 7, 2011).
- Creating Development Opportunities in Neighborhoods, Philadelphia Revitalizing Urban Neighborhoods Conference (September 20, 2010).
Featured in Press
- Diane Mastrull, It's a Mixed Blend, Philadelphia Inquirer (September 24, 2012).
- David Brodwin, How Government Can Unleash Small Business to Grow the Economy, US News and World Report, (May 10, 2012).
- Feather Houstoun, Collective Impact and the Modern City, Governing Magazine (May 9, 2012) Features May 8's Work with the FixItPhilly Coalition.
- Alan Heavens, Modular Construction Popular in Philadelphia, Philadelphia Inquirer (April 15, 2012).
- Elise Vider, The New Urban Revival, Metropolis (April 8, 2012).
- Foreign Home Buyers Could Solve Our Housing Crisis, But What's the Cost? KNPR Public Radio Las Vegas (December 9, 2011).
- Diane Mastrull, Pointing Out the Obstacles, Philadelphia Inquirer (November 21, 2011).
- City Gives Small Business The Blues, Philadelphia Daily News Editorial (November 22, 2011).
“Taking Care of Business: Improving Philadelphia’s Small Business Climate,” could spark some rejoicing because it is the opposite of a dry and boring report. It is clear, coherent and compelling, and provides action steps and common-sense solutions that could provide some canny elected official — the mayor, for example, or certain members of City Council — with a working blueprint for changing the city’s economy.”
- Holly Otterbein, Lowlights Of The Zoning Code, Philadelphia Daily News(September 20, 2011)
- Dan Snyder and Juliet DeRose, South Philadelphia: Home Repair Crisis Looms Large in Neighborhoods, A Special Report: Housing in South Philadelphia, Temple’s Urban Reporting Lab (June 25, 2011).
- Keith Rolland, Maintaining the Viability of Small-Scale Rental Housing, Cascade Magazine No.77 (Spring/Summer 2011).